Are My Goldfish Pregnant

By Jamie Boyle

One of my readers asked me a question ” How To Tell If My Goldfish Are Pregnant” and I decided to write a post about this. Many people often get very interested in goldfish breeding and wonder are my goldfish pregnant and are there going to be little baby goldfish. What people first need to realize is that goldfish don’t become pregnant. Goldfish are not livebearers, meaning that they don’t have live young. Goldfish are called egg layers meaning that when goldfish breed during the spawning process eggs are released and fertilized by the male and then the eggs hatch into young fry a few days later. Seeing goldfish breed is very neat and interesting to see the whole process in motion.

So goldfish don’t become pregnant but you can tell the differences between males and female goldfish by viewing them from above. In order to tell when and if your goldfish will breed involves proper planning, recording temperatures, sexually mature goldfish and knowing when the eggs are ready and matured inside the female goldfish. The eggs need to be fully developed and ready in order for successful breeding to occur.

If you want to learn more about goldfish breeding visit some other posts I’ve made on breeding and raising young goldfish.

Sincerely,

Jamie Boyle
The Goldfish Guy

14 comments on “Are My Goldfish Pregnant

1. paulette on said:

How often do goldfish lay eggs?

2. maanlacson_dhrk on said:

I HAVE A VERY FAT LOOKING GOLDFISH. MAYBE IT IS FEMALE, I DO NOT KNOW. BUT I SEEM TO NOTICE THAT "SHE" STAYS IN ONE SPOT MOST OF THE TIME AFTER I FEED THEM. I HAVE A LOT OF GOLDFISH, AND THEY ARE ALL IN ONE TANK. ANYWAY, I HOPE YOU CAN ANSWER MY QUESTION. WHY IS SHE STAYING IN ONE SPOT AND NOT MOVING AROUND LIKE THE REST? I JUST BOUGHT HER FROM THE PET SHOP SO I AM NOT SURE IF SHE HAS EGGS OR WHAT. I AM JUST CURIOUS ABOUT THE WAY SHE BEHAVES. I HOPE SHE IS NOT HAVING EGGS BECAUSE I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO BREED THEM ACTUALLY!THANKS A LOT AND MORE POWER TO YOU!

3. Breeding Goldfish Information on said:

Paulette,You can see more information on your goldfish question below:How Often Do Goldfish Breed, Lay Eggs or Spawn?Goldfish breed basically 2-3 times a year.Thanks,Jamie BoyleThe Goldfish Guy

4. Breeding Goldfish Information on said:

About your fat goldfish you will need to first find out the gender or your goldfish. Your goldfish could very well be a female goldfish that could be full of eggs.You did mention one fact that concerns me a little. You said you have a lot of goldfish in one fish tank. This could be the reason that your goldfish is resting in one spot. Your water quality could be poor and I suspect high ammonia, and nitrite would could be the reason your goldfish is ill or becoming sick.Please check your water quality in your aquarium right away or your other goldfish may be in jeapordy.Thanks,Jamie BoyleThe Goldfish Guy

5. Paige on said:

I HAVE 5 FISH IN MY 10 GALLON FISH TANK. I SAW THEM CHASING EACH OTHER AND I JUMPED ON THE COMPUTER TO FIND OUT WHAT THIS MEANT. I WENT ON YOUR SITE AND READ ALL OF YOUR ARTICLES. BUT I AM STILL NOT SURE IF MY FISH ARE GIRL/BOY AND IF THEY ARE BREEDING! IF SO WHAT SHOUT I DO? PLEASE HELP ME!

• to figure out if your goldfish is a girl or boy. If your fish is all orange its a male. If its white and orange its a female hope this helps

6. Cristina on said:

How do u know when a fish is pregnant? How do they act?

• The Goldfish Guy on said:

Goldfish do not become pregnant as they do not give birth to live young. Goldfish lay eggs in which they normally hatch within 72 hours. When goldfish are ready to breed you will start see them corting or chasing in your pond or aquarium. The goldfish doing the chasing is the male and the one being chased is the female. Hope this answers your goldfish question.

7. I have heard that other goldfish will eat goldfish eggs…any truth to this?

8. I HAVE 2 FISH IN MY FISH TANK, ONE IS A GOLD FISH (ORANGE AND WHITE), THE OTHER IS (BLACK GREY AND ORANGE), A FEW DAYS AGO I NOTICED MY (BLACK, GREY AND ORANGE) FISH WAS CHASING MY GOLDFISH AROUND THE TANK, CURRENTLY MY GOLDFISH HAS BLOATED AND HAS TWO ORANGEY RED MARKINGS EAT SIDE OF HER BELLY, SHE SWIMS AROUND AT TIMES BUT MOSTLY STAYS AT THE BOTTOM OF THE TANK, BUT ALSO NOTICED THAT THE OTHER FISH (BLACK, GREY AND ORANGE) SITS RIGHT BESIDE HER MOST OF THE TIME. COULD YOU PLEASE TELL ME IF MY FISH IS PREGNANT AS WE ARE EXCITED ON BREEDING OUT GOLDFISH!

9. sierra key on said:

i have four goldfish in a 10 gallon tank and one two of my goldfish chase after eachother does that mmean the fish wants to mate will they mate if the female keeps running away?!

10. yes that is true, you should transfer the eggs to another tank immediately because they eat their eggs.

11. Amber on said:

I wone 2 goldfish at a county fair. I call them sharky and tips. Sharky likes to stick its fin out of the water and crouse like a shark. Tips has black tip fins and tail. I have them in a 2 1/2 gal tank with filter and airater. They were relatively small when I got them. they have now doubled in size, in about 4 months. I started to notice not 1 of the fish was chasing the o ther 1 banging on its stomach looks very aggressive. they now have stoped the chace. Now tips has found a quiet spot in the tank under some fake plants. She stays there all day. He usually stays with her and comes out on occasion to round the tank. They come out to feed. And boy are they little beggers. But they go right back. I belive that one fish is huge compaired to the other. Are they pregnant or do they just turning into “quiet” fish??

12. im 9 and my goldfish looks a little little bit fat.Ive looked too see if anywere boys or girls on a website….turns out my sisters was a boy!Anyway if its a little fat is it pregnant.I actually have 3 though ones in a bowl by its self the 2 in the tank are girls with my sisters boy goldfish…..theres a turtle in there too.But I wanna know if its pregnant or not…also if it can get pregnant with a turtle and another fish in the tank…….if you find out please chat or email me if possible thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!