Can I eat goldfish? The answer is no! Eating goldfish can cause cancer and make you sick. I’ve seen so many young teenagers, men, and some women eating or swallowing goldfish at parties for a joke or a dare through YouTube videos and it makes me sick just thinking of it. Well for one eating a goldfish or swallowing one is gross but it’s what they don’t know that may make them think twice next time. Eating goldfish may indeed cause someone to get cancer and I’ll explain why.
For years I’ve been treating goldfish and using certain fish medications including Melachite Green to treat against different diseases and parasites. What some people don’t know is that Melachite Green is a carcinogen, meaning it has the ability to cause cancer. Now think about it now! These young kids, teenagers and even adults thinking they’re having a good old laugh about it could be in fact writing their own death sentence. This fish medication that goldfish and koi breeders use at fish farms intended just to be used as ornamental fish for aquariums or ponds can have serious effects against us. No fish should be consumed if this type of fish medication is used. Melachite green can cause cancer and should be used properly, with protective equipment and with caution. So no, no one should eat or swallow live goldfish as it’s not safe.!
A few years ago now I remember in Japan they had I think it was salmon that the Food Inspection Agency came into a local market and removed all the fish as it was contaminated. No fish intended for human consumption is allowed to be treated with Melachite Green. The fish in the market they found was immediately removed and destroyed.
So next time you, or people you may know decide they want to eat a goldfish or swallow one, remember this post. Goldfish treated with melachite green has the ability to cause cancer and should not be for human consumption. Now if this doesn’t stop you from picking up a live goldfish and eating it maybe all the wonderful little parasites that they carry might stop you. I could go on and on about how eating goldfish can make you sick. Some goldfish parasites reproduce at an amazing rate like ich at 500 parasites per cyst. I could say more but I think I made my point about how eating goldfish can cause cancer, make you sick and is plain gross. So next time your hungry instead of eating a live goldfish, go grab something out of the refrigerator.
Would you eat a live goldfish for money, a dare of just a plain joke? Love to hear your thoughts on this!